Monday, April 26, 2010

Decisions, decisions...

I've eluded temptation today. But how long will it last, I wonder?

A colleague at work bought an Olympus camera over the weekend, and Colleague #2 told me earlier today how she wanted to get one of her own. To make matters worse, Colleague #3 piped in to mention that the Lumix LX3 is on sale in one of the camera shops here in Manila. Of course, I jumped online right away to look up the model... and just made me drool and dizzy with the info and feedback on that and other models. Looking over owner's feedback on it is making me change my mind about getting any Canon G Series compacts anytime soon, since the Lumix one is pretty competitive. And the lower price is certainly a big deciding factor.

I'm slowly warming up to the prospect of getting a point and shoot digicam that has decent features of a dSLR, since I feel that other features of a dSLR would be wasted on me at this time; not to mention the thought of lugging a big camera around. I'm not so sure I'm ready for that kind of commitment yet.

And I think the same goes with Colleague #2. She seemed dead-set on hitting the camera shops and hunting down her ideal digicam, but the enthusiasm petered out by the end of our shift when we discovered the LX3 carrying a heftier price tag that what was expected. Too bad. But she was also setting her sights on a Nikon D3000, citing her possibly blooming interest in photography, and wanting to learn to go manual. I posed a few points, even making a passing analogy that you don't start out learning to drive in a Ferrari (although a Porsche should have been a more appropriate parallel, but you get the idea =P).

We're both novices in photography, so I can't really claim superiority or anything, but I do know some folks who sold their DSLRs and never upgraded, or that they got one but hardly ever bring it. My father owns a sweet manual Nikon FE that I'm trying to learn whenever I'm in the mood can, and that's not often. I know some of you out there would rationalize that having a dSLR would be entirely different. I somewhat agree. Though it still doesn't change the fact you'll be lugging it around. Yes, size matters somewhat to me, specially if I am to travel and I want to snap pictures right away. There's also the notion of not wanting to attract too much attention.

Whatever savings I have is safe. For now. But that would change, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment